When and how to tell us about your travel

When you get Disability Support Pension, you should always tell us if you’re leaving Australia. Let us know at least 6 weeks before you plan to leave Australia.

This gives us time to arrange a medical review if needed. The review helps decide if you can get your payment while overseas for longer than 28 days in 12 months.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov.

We may ask for supporting documents about your travel. If we do, you should give us your evidence supporting documents before you leave Australia. The documents you need to provide depend on your circumstances. If you don’t give us the evidence before you leave Australia, your payment may stop when you depart. If we’ve stopped your payment, we’ll reassess it once we get your supporting documents.

You can do this via your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can also use your online account to get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards.

You can call the Disability, sickness and carers line to discuss your circumstances further.

Learn how to create an online account if you don’t already have one.

If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by either:

Australia’s immigration department will tell us when you leave. They will also tell us when you return.

Page last updated: 10 March 2022