Payments you can get

Going from a combined family income to a single income can be a big change. You may now need a payment, or the amount you already get might change.

If you’re raising children

We can help you learn about child support and decide which collection arrangement is best for your family. 

Family Tax Benefit is a 2-part payment to help with the cost of raising children.

Parenting Payment is the main income support payment while you’re a young child’s main carer. This payment is also for job seekers who are main carers of young children.

Child Care Subsidy is assistance to help you with the cost of child care.

Additional Child Care Subsidy gives some families extra assistance with the cost of approved child care. You may be able to get an additional subsidy if you're any of the following:

  • a grandparent or great grandparent
  • someone transitioning from certain income support payments to work
  • someone in temporary financial hardship.

If you’re looking for work or working variable hours

JobSeeker Payment is financial help if you’re between 22 and Age Pension age. This payment is also for when you’re sick or injured and can’t do your usual work or study.

If you’re studying

If you’re considering re-entering the workforce, you may want to retrain or increase your skills. There’s support available for retraining.

Youth Allowance for students and apprentices is financial help for students and apprentices aged 24 or younger and either:

  • studying full time
  • doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship.

Austudy is the main income support payment if you’re 25 or older and a full time student or Australian Apprentice.

ABSTUDY is financial help for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and Australian Apprentices.

If you already get a payment

If you already get a payment from us, it’s important to update your details so we can pay you the right amount.

Page last updated: 10 December 2021