Update your details with us

It’s important to update your details with us if you get a payment. This is so we pay you the right amount.

How to tell us

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can update all of the following online:

  • address, accommodation and contact details
  • nominee arrangements
  • parental income
  • your bank details.

Sign in to myGov

You may be able to tell us online when you break up or separate from your partner. This will depend on the type of payment you get.

If you can’t tell us online, use the separation details form to let us know. You don’t need your ex-partner to complete their part of the separation form. If you’ve already told us you’re separated in a new payment claim you don’t need to use this form.

If you’re separated and live in the same house as your ex-partner, you need to tell us. You’ll each need to complete and return a relationship details - separated under one roof form.

If it will put your safety at risk, your ex-partner doesn’t need to complete this form. Please tell us on your form if you have any safety concerns about asking your ex-partner to complete it. Read more about our support for people affected by family and domestic violence.

If you’re leaving a relationship or living with violence or abuse, there are some things you need to do to keep your information safe.

You may also need to update details for:

  • your Medicare card
  • your drivers licence
  • your postal address to redirect your mail
  • utility companies, banks, insurance companies, schools, the Australian Taxation Office and other organisations.

If you pay or receive child support and your Child Support online account is linked to myGov, you should also update your details online.

Sign in to myGov

You can also use your Express Plus Child Support mobile app.

You also need to tell us if you reconcile with your partner. To do this, or for more information call the Child Support Enquiry Line.

Page last updated: 3 April 2023.
QC 60017