How you can help students with Centrelink payments
Leaving school can be both an exciting and stressful time for students. We know their family, friends and school play an important part in that process.
This resource can help you speak with students about our payments. You can share this information with them to support the next step in their journey. Knowing what support is out there can help students feel secure and confident in their decisions.
You can get information and resources for students in a variety of channels.
Getting information about student payments
On our website
We have information to help students find out what help they can get and how to apply. You can use or share these resources with students. Some useful resources include:
- Payment and Service Finder can find, estimate and compare payments and local services students may be eligible for
- the payments for students and trainees page outlines the support students, trainees and Australian Apprentices can get
- the leaving school page covers a number of options, to help students decide what to do after year 12
- the Customise and Print feature on our main pages, like Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY and Austudy, which lets you to create a tailored brochure of information.
On social media
Follow Student Update on Facebook or Twitter for information and updates about student payments. You can share our posts on your school’s social media page to make students aware of our payments. They can also go to our page to ask questions about eligibility and claiming.
You can also watch and share our YouTube playlists for students about Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY. They have information about:
- our main student payments
- the extra support students can get
- how to claim.
In your email inbox
Get regular emails with updates, important information and changes to student payments by subscribing to our eNewsletters. Subscribe to:
- News for students and trainees for student-specific information and updates
- Community news for information tailored to community groups, organisations and schools.
Getting ready to claim
You can let students know they can find information about how to claim a student payment on our website.
Moving away from home to study
We have support available if students need to move away from home to study. Students may be able to get extra help, depending on their situation.
Relocation scholarship is a once a year payment for students who get ABSTUDY, Youth Allowance, or Energy Supplement. Students may get this if they need to move from or to a regional or remote area for higher education study.
Fares Allowance helps with travel costs between a student’s permanent home and place of tertiary study in Australia.
ABSTUDY Fares Allowance helps with travel costs between a student’s home and place of study. Students may get it if they get ABSTUDY and need to live away from home.
Rent Assistance is a regular extra payment for people who pay rent and get certain payments from us.
Residential Costs Option is an option for students who get ABSTUDY to help pay residential costs while living away from home to study.
Page last updated: 20 September 2019