New Zealand citizens claiming payments in Australia

If you’re a New Zealand citizen living in Australia you may be eligible to get Centrelink payments or concession cards.

What payments you can get

The payments you can claim depends on the visa you have.

You must also meet other rules for the payment or card you claim.

When you hold a permanent residence visa

A permanent residence visa lets you live in Australia and will allow you to claim any Centrelink payment or concession card.

When you hold a Special Category visa (SCV)

Protected SCV holders

If you live in Australia and you are a protected SCV holder, you can claim any Centrelink payment or concession card.

Non-protected SCV holders

If you live in Australia and you are a non-protected SCV holder, you may be able to claim the following:

If you have served, or have an exemption from the newly arrived resident’s waiting period, you may also be able to claim:

If you’ve lived in Australia continuously for at least 10 years, there are 3 other payments you may be eligible for. The continuous 10 year period of living in Australia needs to be right before claiming. You may be able to get JobSeeker Payment or Youth Allowance for a single period of up to 6 months. You may also be able to get Tertiary Access Payment.

If you’re affected by a declared natural disaster, you may be able to claim:

  • New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment
  • New Zealand Disaster Recovery Allowance.

Read more about natural disaster support.

Australian citizenship

You may be eligible to apply directly for Australian citizenship if you:

  • are a non-protected SCV holder
  • have lived in Australia for more than 4 years
  • arrived in Australia after 26 February 2001.

Find out more about New Zealand citizens becoming Australian citizens on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Other services

Use the Workforce Australia employment services to help you look for work. At Workforce Australia you can use computers, newspapers, and other facilities.

Read more about Workforce Australia on their website.

When you claim under an international agreement

We have an agreement with New Zealand that may help you meet eligibility rules. It allows New Zealand citizens living in Australia to claim the following payments:

Page last updated: 14 December 2023.
QC 30721