Carer Payment

A payment if you give constant care to someone with disability or a medical condition, or an adult who’s frail aged.

This payment can help you if you provide constant care to someone for at least 6 months. You can start your claim at any time, you don’t need to wait 6 months before you start your claim. This payment is also if you’re caring for someone at the end of their life.

Constant care means you provide care for a large amount of time daily. This is roughly equal to a normal working day. This care stops you from working full time.

Care includes things like:

  • physical help
  • guidance
  • supervision.

When you start your claim, we’ll ask you about the person you care for and the care you provide. We’ll tell you if you need to give us any supporting evidence.

If we don’t already have this information, we’ll ask you to complete medical forms.

The amount of Carer Payment you get depends on your personal circumstances. This includes any income you or your partner get from employment. Carer Payment is taxable if you or the person you care for are Age Pension age.

Find out if you can get it.

If you can’t get this payment there could be other payments better suited to your needs.

There are other organisations who can help you and the person you care for. Read more about services in your state and getting support.

Page last updated: 23 October 2023.
QC 21816