Change of circumstances while getting Youth Allowance

You must tell us if things change as it may affect your Youth Allowance payment.

Tell us within 14 days

You need to tell us about any changes to your circumstances within 14 days. This includes your parents’ or guardians’ and partners’ circumstances.

We encourage you not to come to a service centre during this period. You can make updates online. Use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app or your Centrelink online account through myGov to tell us about changes.

If you don’t tell us, it may affect your payment. You may need to pay back money we’ve paid you. If you're dishonest in order to get a payment, you are committing welfare fraud. Read more about how to avoid committing fraud.

It’s important you tell us about any changes. Here are some examples.


Tell us if any of these things happen. You:

  • don't stay enrolled in your course
  • change your course
  • study at a different institution
  • reduce your study or training workload, so you’re no longer studying a full time study load
  • stop studying and don’t plan to return to study
  • stop being a full time Australian Apprentice
  • don’t start your course within 2 weeks of it starting
  • are getting the away from home rate of payment from us and not maintaining your term address.

Maintaining your term address means keeping the address, for example by still paying rent. You may want to do this even if you’ve moved back home during the term due to coronavirus.

You'll keep getting your student payment if you stay enrolled in your course, and plan to return to study. Even if due to coronavirus 1 of the following apply:

  • you're self-isolated at home
  • your education provider temporarily closes
  • you're no longer studying a full time study load
  • your placement is cancelled or postponed.


You may get JobKeeper payment through your employer. You need to check with them before you claim a payment with us. Read how JobKeeper payment could affect you.

Tell us if any of these things happen. You:

  • change your work hours, start or stop work
  • change your income or assets
  • get income from outside Australia
  • change jobs
  • get compensation, leave or redundancy payments
  • start or stop getting other financial help to complete your course or apprenticeship.


Tell us if any of these things happen:

  • you change your address or contact details
  • you move back to your parents' or guardians’ home
  • you marry or start living with your partner
  • you separate from your partner
  • you’re sick or injured and can’t continue your study
  • you move into or out of long term care, like a nursing home or hostel
  • you’re in lawful custody
  • you start or stop getting a pension, benefit or allowance.

If you get Rent Assistance, you also need to tell us if any of these things happen. You:

  • stop paying rent, or the amount of rent you pay changes
  • start paying rent to a state, territory or Commonwealth Housing Authority
  • move in with your parent or guardian.


Tell us if any of these things happen:

  • your dependent child or immediate family member dies
  • you have a child or take care of a child who is 16 years of age or younger
  • your dependent child who is 16 years of age or younger leaves home, or gets a pension, benefit or allowance
  • your dependent child is in custody on remand, in a psychiatric institution or in prison.


Tell us if your partner does any of these things. They:

  • start or stop working
  • have income or assets change
  • get ABSTUDY, a pension, benefit or allowance
  • die.

Parents or guardians

Tell us if your parents or guardians do any of these things. They:

  • change their address
  • marry or start living with their partner
  • separate from their partner
  • have changes to their income
  • have a dependent child who leaves their care or comes into their care
  • are, or are no longer, in custody, in a psychiatric institution, nursing home or similar.

Page last updated: 25 September 2020