Payments and services for rural and remote Australians

There are payments and services available to support you if you live in a rural or remote area of Australia.


The payments you can get depend on your situation. You can use Payment and Service Finder to see what payments and services you may be able to get.

Payments for farmers

Farm Household Allowance is a payment for farming families in financial hardship. It can help with your household bills and financial circumstances.

Tasmanian Freight Equalisation Scheme reduces the cost of transporting eligible goods by sea between Tasmania and mainland Australia. This includes:

  • northbound goods
  • southbound goods for manufacturing and mining, or primary production
  • intrastate - King Island and the Furneaux Group.

Payments for students

Fares Allowance helps with travel costs between your permanent home and place of tertiary study. To be eligible you must get certain payments from us.

ABSTUDY Fares Allowance helps cover the cost of travel between your permanent home and place of study. This is if you need to live away from home to study and get ABSTUDY.

Relocation Scholarship is a once a year payment if you get Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY. You must also move to or from a regional or remote area for higher education study.

Tertiary Access Payment helps students with the cost of moving from an outer regional or remote area for tertiary study.

Assistance for Isolated Children is a group of payments for parents and carers of children who can't go to a local state school. This could be because of geographical isolation, disability or special needs.


If you live in a rural or remote area of Australia, you might not have easy access to our services. That’s why we have some services to help you.

Do it in person

Our Agents and Access Points can help you access government services in your community. You can use self service facilities such as computers, phones, faxes and photocopiers to:

  • access our services and other government information
  • do your government and job seeking needs.

The Financial Information Service is a free, confidential service that can inform and educate you about financial matters. You can talk to a FIS officer before you make any major decisions that might affect you.

We come to you

Our Mobile Service Centres can help your community access government services. They go to areas of Australia that might not otherwise be able to access these services. Staff in the Mobile Service Centres can help you with the payments and services you may be eligible for.

You can call us

Farmers and their partners can talk to us about Farm Household Allowance. They can call us on the Farmer Assistance hotline. Specialist staff answer all calls to the hotline from anywhere in Australia.

Other support services

Our social workers can help you during difficult times by providing counselling, support and information.

You can use Payment and Service Finder to find support services in your local area. This can include counselling and mental health services.

Lifeline is a national charity open to all Australians in personal crisis. They have 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.

Headspace is the national youth mental health foundation. They can help young people who are going through a tough time.

Financial Counselling Australia is the peak body for financial counsellors in Australia. They can put you in touch with a financial counsellor if you are in financial difficulty.

Moneysmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Budget planner section on the Moneysmart website.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 7 October 2021