Find help if you’re homeless, sleeping rough or couch surfing.

Homelessness is a problem that goes beyond not having safe shelter.

Being homeless includes:

  • living in a refuge
  • staying in crisis accommodation
  • being in temporary housing
  • having to couch surf
  • sheltering in a car
  • living in a severely overcrowded home.

If you need help now, you can find shelter, food and other support in your area on the AskIzzy website.

Help to get payments

What payments you can get can depend on your circumstances. Use our Payment and Service Finder to see what you may be eligible for.

We can make payments into your bank account or the bank account of an authorised nominee.

Advance payment

If you already get income support from us, you may be able to get an advance lump sum payment.

Other available help

Moneysmart can direct you to charities and community organisations that can help you.

Read about urgent money help on the Moneysmart website.

Food, housing and accommodation

You can get help from non-government organisations. These links will take you away from our website.

AskIzzy is a free and anonymous website to search for housing, food, health care and legal help in your area.

Homelessness Australia can help you if you’re homeless, or at risk of being homeless.

Mission Australia manages community housing across Australia and can help you look for a home.

The Red Cross can help you look for suitable shelter. They also give meals to people with low incomes or housing problems.

The Salvation Army helps people across Australia to find housing and support services.

State-based help

You can also get help in your state. These links will take you away from our website.

State or territoryResource
ACTThe ACT Government can help you with social housing, community housing and affordable housing.
NSWLink2home can help if you’re homeless or at risk of becoming homeless in New South Wales.
NTNTShelter can help with suitable and affordable housing in the Northern Territory.
QldThe Queensland Government website can help you find emergency and temporary accommodation.
UnitingCare Qld can also help you find accommodation.
SASA.GOV.AU can help you find homelessness services in your area.
TasYou can find information about housing in Tasmania on the HobartCity website.
VicHousing Vic can help you find housing.
WARUAH Community Services can help you with accommodation, legal advice and wellness advice.

Mental health support

You can access mental health support to help you through a tough time. The following links will take you away from our website.

Lifeline is open to all Australians in personal crisis. They have 24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.

headspace is the national youth mental health foundation. They can help young people going through a tough time.

Page last updated: 30 May 2024.
QC 60027