Return to work
To get Parental Leave Pay, you must be on leave or not working. This is from when you become your child's primary carer until the end of your Paid Parental Leave period.
You must tell us if you go back to work before the end of your Paid Parental Leave period. Your payment will stop if you do.
We will consider you have returned to work if you either:
- do paid work, other than under the Keeping in Touch provisions
- do more than 10 Keeping in Touch days.
If you return to work early, you can transfer the unused part of your Parental Leave Pay to another person. They must also meet eligibility criteria and submit their claim within 52 weeks from the date of birth or adoption.
Read more about transferring Parental Leave Pay.
In the case of stillbirth or infant death, you may return to work before the end of your Paid Parental Leave period. You will continue to get Parental Leave Pay.
If your child needs to remain in hospital straight after birth you may be able to return to work. You can still get Parental Leave Pay if both of the following apply:
- you return to work 14 days or more after your child’s birth
- you stop working on or before the day your child is discharged from hospital.
If you wish to return to work, call the Families line.
You can still get Parental Leave Pay if you need to return to work for one of these reasons:
- to comply with a court ordered summons
- under a compulsory recall to duty, for defence force and law enforcement officers.
You can tell us you’re going back to work up to 30 days before you go back if either:
- you’re getting Parental Leave Pay
- we’ve told you we’ve assessed your claim.
Page last updated: 18 December 2019
This information was printed 25 May 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/parental-leave-pay/how-your-payments-are-impacted/return-work. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.