Supporting documents

When claiming Age Pension, you’ll need to give us some supporting documents. If you don’t give them to us, we can’t assess your claim.

Why you need to give us documents

As you complete your claim for Age Pension, we’ll ask you to provide information and certain supporting documents. We need supporting documents to confirm information you give us in your claim. We can’t assess your claim without them. We may also ask you for more details after you submit your claim. 

Which documents you must give us

We’ll tell you which information and documents you must give us before you can submit your online claim. We list the documents you have to provide in the required task list.

If you complete a paper claim, we’ll tell you next to the question what information or document we need.

You must give us the following details before or when you submit your claim. Documents that show:

  • your age and identity 
  • your bank account details 
  • your tax file number 
  • your Australian residence, if you’ve lived outside Australia
  • if you’re a member of a couple 
  • your income and assets.

If you’ve already provided these, you may not need to do so again. 

Generally you must give us your identity documents in person at a service centre, so we can confirm your identity. Keep in mind we must confirm your identity before you can make a claim. 

If required, you need to provide these documents before you can submit your claim for Age Pension. We can’t start assessing your claim without them. Having them ready will help you finish your claim and not delay the process. Call us if you’re unsure which documents you need to provide. 

Which documents you may need to give us

Which documents we may need depends on your circumstances. We’ll tell you in the claim which documents you must give us.

Circumstances Example documents

You may need to give us:

Residence details if you’ve lived outside Australia

You may need to give us:

  • visa information
  • citizenship details
  • the date you and your partner became Australian citizens
  • the dates you and your partner lived in other countries.
Living arrangements

You may need to give us:


You may need to give us:


You may need to give us:

Medical You may need to give us an Ophthalmologist report, if you’re blind.

When we may need documents after you submit your claim

After you submit your claim for Age Pension, we’ll assess your circumstances. If we need more information, we’ll ask you for it. We’ll send a letter to your myGov inbox if you have one. If you don’t, we’ll send you this request in the mail. 

If this happens, we’ll put your claim on hold while we wait for the information. 

You generally need to provide the documents we request within 14 days. If you don’t, we may reject your claim. Call us if you’re having trouble providing the information we ask for. 

How to submit your documents

You can upload documents in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. Read more about how to submit your Centrelink documents online.

You can also give them to us by mail or by visiting a service centre.

Page last updated: 29 May 2019