How to prepare to claim

There are several things to check before you claim Youth Allowance for students and apprentices.

Check if you can get it

Check that you meet all the eligibility rules for Youth Allowance before you start your claim. This includes checking:

Effect of income

We also use income and assets tests to work out if you’re eligible and how much you can get. We’ll ask you for your income details when you claim. If we consider you to be dependent, we’ll ask about your parents’ or guardians’ income.

If you, your partner or your parents or guardians earn too much, you won’t be able to get Youth Allowance.

You can use the Payment and Service Finder before you claim to estimate how much you can get. It will ask you questions about your situation and give you a list of possible payments you could claim. If you’re a student aged 24 or younger, you’ll see the payment Youth Allowance for Students and Australian Apprenticeships.

Choose Estimate rate now for Youth Allowance for Students and Australian Apprenticeships. Then enter some details about how much you and your parents earn. You can also enter details of your parents’ or guardians’ other dependent children. At the end, you’ll be given an estimate of how much you could get each fortnight. This won’t be a guarantee that you’ll get this payment. It will be an estimate only and depends on you entering accurate information.

Prepare your supporting information

When you claim, we’ll ask you to give us information and supporting documents to complete the claim. This could include your:

  • tax file number
  • identification documents
  • parents’ or guardians’ or your partner’s income and assets
  • evidence of why you need to live away from home
  • evidence that you’re independent from your parents or guardians if you’re under 22
  • study transcripts.

Make sure you have your supporting documents ready, otherwise your claim could get delayed.

Get set up with myGov

You’ll need to create a myGov account to claim a student payment. Once you’ve created a myGov account, link it to Centrelink. You’ll need to prove your identity online as part of this.

Page last updated: 6 September 2022.
QC 63187