Updating parental income details

You’ll need to update your income details if you or your child get a letter from us asking for these.

Why we need your details

If you or your child get a letter from us asking what your income is, you need to tell us. We need this information so we can pay your child.

You must do one of the following:

  • tell us your annual income
  • give us an estimate of your income.

If your child gets Youth Allowance

If your child gets Youth Allowance you need to tell us your income by the date in your child’s letter. If you don’t we’ll suspend your child’s payment. After this we may cancel your child’s payment and they may need to reapply.

If your child gets ABSTUDY

If your child gets ABSTUDY you need to tell us your income by 31 December. If you don’t, we may reduce your child’s ABSTUDY to zero.

What details we need

We need your annual income details or an estimate of your annual income if you haven’t lodged a tax return.

If you give us an income estimate, we’ll need a copy of your Notice of Assessment. You can give us your Notice of Assessment from the Australian Taxation Office once you’ve lodged your tax return. You can submit this document to us online.

Your annual income may include:

  • combined taxable income
  • tax free pensions and benefits
  • fringe benefits
  • income from outside Australia
  • reportable superannuation contributions
  • net investment losses, including negative gearing for property and shares.

You also need to tell us about any child maintenance you paid during the last financial year.

We may be able to use your current income to calculate your child’s rate of pay. We may do this if your income has decreased since the 2022/2023 tax year.

How to give us your income details

The letter we send will include a One Time Access Code. You’ll need this code to give us your income details.

If your myGov account is linked to Centrelink

If you have a Centrelink online account that’s linked to myGov, sign in now to give us your income details.

Sign in to myGov

Complete the questions in each section to do this.

If your myGov and Centrelink accounts aren’t linked

If you don’t have a Centrelink online account linked to myGov, you’ll need to use the Advise Parental Income online service.

Advise Parental Income

Follow these steps:

  1. Select using a One Time Access Code (OTAC) printed on a letter sent to your child or their nominee.
  2. Select Next.
  3. Enter your child’s Customer Reference Number (CRN) and One Time Access Code, then select Login.
  4. Complete the questions.

You’ll need all of the following:

  • the One Time Access Code in the letter
  • your child’s CRN
  • your child’s name and date of birth.

You must enter your child’s name exactly as it appears in the letter.

If you lose your One Time Access Code

If you lose the letter containing the One Time Access Code, you’ll need to contact us. You can either:

Please have your child’s full name, date of birth and CRN ready when you call or visit us.

Page last updated: 1 January 2024.
QC 51477