How to manage your payment

Your options and obligations for Age Pension.

There are a few things you need to tell us so we can pay you the right amount of Age Pension. You must tell us within 14 days if:

You also need to tell us if you have financial investments.

How to tell us

You can tell us about a change to your circumstances using one of these self service options:

Read more about what you can do using self service.

We have Centrelink online account guides that can help you update your income and assets.

If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the Older Australians line.

You can authorise a person to handle things for you. Read more about getting someone to deal with us on your behalf.

To find more information about your payments, go to My payments in your Centrelink online account. There, you’ll be able to see information including how we work out your payment and how much we’ll pay you.

Page last updated: 7 September 2022