Travel outside Australia

There are rules about when you can get Age Pension when you travel outside Australia.

You may get Age Pension for the whole time you’re outside Australia. Even if you’re leaving to live in another country.

Your payment may stop if all of the following apply. You:

  • come back to Australia to live
  • start getting Age Pension after you return
  • travel outside Australia during the next 2 years after you returned.

Your payment may be able to continue if you travel to a country we have a social security agreement with.

Page last updated: 21 June 2023.
QC 31171