When and how to tell us about your travel

When you get Age Pension, you may need to tell us if you’re leaving Australia.

You need to tell us if you’re leaving Australia and any of the following apply, you:

  • are going to live in another country
  • will be away for more than 6 weeks
  • get Age Pension under a social security agreement with another country
  • are leaving Australia within 2 years after coming back to live and started getting Age Pension since then
  • or your partner are getting income from employment.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, you can tell us about your travel plans online. If you don’t have these, you’ll need to create them.

Sign in to myGov

You can also use your online account to get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards.

If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by either:

Australia’s immigration department will tell us when you leave. They will also tell us when you return.

Page last updated: 24 November 2023.
QC 61847