Get a Centrelink payment

Find out about payments and services, setting up online accounts and claiming.

How to claim a payment

Find out how to check what you can get, claim and manage a Centrelink payment.


    1. Check what you can get

    1: Before we get started

    We’ll ask you some simple questions to help determine which of our most common payments may apply to you.

    2: Do you need help due to coronavirus (COVID-19)?

    3: There may be support available if you or your family were affected by coronavirus (COVID-19)

    Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment is support if you can’t earn an income because you or someone you’re caring for has to self-isolate or quarantine due to COVID-19.

    Crisis Payment for National Health Emergency (COVID-19) is a one-off payment. It’s for people who get an income support payment and are in severe financial hardship due to COVID-19.

    4: Are you an Australian citizen or permanent resident?

    5: Payments for visa holders

    If you’re living in Australia with an eligible visa, we have a range of help to support you.

    6: Do you have disability or a medical condition?

    7: You may be eligible for Disability Support Pension

    Disability Support Pension is financial support if you have a permanent physical, intellectual or psychiatric condition that stops you from working.

    To get Disability Support Pension (DSP), you need to meet both:

    • non-medical rules
    • medical rules.

    Before you start a claim, we can help work out if you may be able to get Disability Support Pension.

    8: Are you giving constant care to someone with disability, an illness or an adult who is frail?

    9: You may be eligible for Carer Payment

    An income support payment if you give constant care to someone who has severe disability, an illness, or an adult who is frail aged.

    Read more about Carer Payment and who can get it.

    11: You may be eligible for Aged Pension

    If you’re 66 or older, Age Pension is the main income support payment for people who have reached Age Pension age.

    Commonwealth Seniors Health Card is a concession card to get cheaper health care and some discounts if you’ve reached Age Pension age. Read more about who can get it.

    Read more about Age Pension and payments and services for older Australians.

    12: Do you have any dependent children?

    13: Payments for families

    We have a range of payments which help with the cost of raising children. This can be your birth, foster or adopted child. It can also be a grandchild.

    Family Tax Benefit is a 2 part payment that helps with the cost of raising children.

    Parenting Payment is the main income support payment while you’re a young child’s main carer.

    Parental Leave Payment is a payment for up to 18 weeks while you care for your new child.

    Child Care Subsidy helps with the cost of approved child care.

    Additional Child Care Subsidy gives some families extra help with child care fees.

    Read more about payments for families.

    14: Are you currently looking for work?

    15: Payments for job seekers

    Financial help while you’re looking for work. You’re sick or injured and can’t do your usual work or study for a short time.

    JobSeeker Payment is financial help if you’re between 22 and Age Pension age.

    You can get it while you’re unemployed and looking for work, or doing approved activities to find a job. It’s also for when you’re sick or injured and can’t do your usual work or study.

    Youth Allowance for job seekers is an income support payment if you’re 21 or younger and looking for work. It's also for times you're unable to work.

    Parenting Payment is an income support payment while you’re a young child’s main carer. This payment supports parents or guardians to help with the cost of raising children.

    Read more about information about payments for job seekers.

    16: Are you an apprentice, a trainee or studying?

    17: Payments for students and trainees

    Help for students, trainees and Australian Apprentices.

    Youth Allowance for students and apprentices is financial help if you’re 24 or younger and studying or an Australian Apprentice.

    Austudy is financial help if you’re 25 or older and studying or an Australian Apprentice.

    ABSTUDY are a group of payments for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students or apprentices.

    Read more information about payments for students and trainees.

    18: Other payments

    We have other payments and services available. You can view all payments and services.

    You can also use our Payment and Service Finder to see what payments you may be eligible for.


    2. Get ready to claim

    To start your online claim, you need to go to the myGov website to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

    If you haven’t claimed a payment from us before, you’ll have to prove your identity. You can do this online using myGov. You’ll need to enter some personal details and details from acceptable identity documents.

    If you’ve claimed a payment from us before, you can use your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) to link Centrelink to myGov. If it’s already linked, you won’t need to do this. If you don’t know your CRN, you’ll need to prove your identity online using myGov.


    3. Make your claim

    The easiest way to claim most payments is online, but some payments have specific rules. Before you start, check the information for the payment you want to claim.

    1. Sign in to myGov and select Centrelink.
    2. Select Make a claim or view claim status from your homepage.
    3. Select Get started from the category that best describes your circumstance.
    4. Answer the Eligibility check questions first.
    5. Start your claim and answer all the questions, there's help on each screen including how to submit supporting documents and forms.
    6. Review and confirm your claim to submit it.

    4. Track your claim

    After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt.

    It'll tell you:

    • if your claim submission was successful
    • the ID number of your claim
    • an estimated completion date.

    You can track the progress of your claim online. Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink, or use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

    We’ll also let you know the result of your claim. We’ll send an electronic letter to your myGov Inbox.

    If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail. We’ll ask you for more details if we need them.

    You can ask us to review our decision if you think we’ve made a mistake.


    5. Manage your payment

    To keep getting your payment, you’ll need to continue to meet the eligibility requirements. In some cases you'll also have ongoing commitments you need to meet.

    Check your payment or service for more details about how to manage it. To help manage your payments online, you can also view our online help.

    You can also read more about managing your Centrelink payment or stay up to date by:

Page last updated: 5 September 2022