Who can get it

You need to meet some requirements to get Child Care Subsidy.

We pay this subsidy directly to your child care provider to reduce the fees you pay.

You may be eligible if you or your partner meet all of the following:

  • care for your child at least 2 nights per fortnight, or have 14% care
  • are liable for fees for care provided at an approved child care service
  • meet the residence rules.

Your child must also meet both of these:

If your child attends secondary school, you may still be eligible if they need supervision. They must be either:

  • 13 or under
  • 14 to 18 with disability.

In these circumstances, you must provide evidence why your child can’t be unsupervised. This may include evidence of your child’s disability. You also need to confirm an adult cannot care for your child during this time.

If we ask you to provide a statutory declaration it must be a commonwealth statutory declaration.

Each person that’s liable to pay child care fees will need to apply for this subsidy and meet these criteria.

Read more about how to maintain your eligibility for Child Care Subsidy (CCS) when your child doesn’t use child care.

Extra support

Some families can get Additional Child Care Subsidy. We pay it on top of Child Care Subsidy to provide extra support with child care fees.

There are 3 different types of Additional Child Care Subsidy that you can apply for. You can apply if you’re either:

  • a grandparent
  • transitioning to work
  • experiencing temporary financial hardship.

Approved child care

These are services that have Australian Government approval to get Child Care Subsidy on your behalf to reduce your fees. Approved child care includes:

  • Centre Based Day Care, including long day care and occasional care
  • Family Day Care
  • Outside School Hours Care, including before, after and vacation care
  • In Home Care.

In Home Care

The eligibility criteria for In Home Care is different. You need to meet all eligibility criteria for Child Care Subsidy and extra criteria. You can read more about In Home Care on the Department of Education website.

Page last updated: 2 November 2023.
QC 42971