on this page
Why we contact you
We may contact you directly or a research company may do this on our behalf to talk to you about any of the following:
- your satisfaction with how we serve you
- feedback on current processes
- new processes or services
- our information materials
- our delivery of government programs.
You might be asked to participate through any of the following:
- phone surveys
- online surveys or discussion boards
- discussion groups or individual interviews.
What to expect if we contact you
We use a number of different research methods to help us learn and understand how you use our products and services. This can include any of the following:
- speaking with you directly, for example in an interview or research focus group.
- through service or product testing, for example testing different versions of the same message. This is why you may get a letter or a SMS which is different to someone else.
You might be contacted during these times and invited to share your feedback:
- 9:00 am to 8:30 pm during the week
- 9 am to 5 pm on the weekend.
Why we use research companies
We use trusted, independent research companies to do research work on our behalf. We understand you may be more comfortable giving your honest opinion about us to someone who’s not one of our staff.
Research companies often use their own internal databases or processes to recruit people most relevant to the research topic to participate in research. These can be people who access our services and members of the public. In some cases we provide your contact details to the research company for recruitment purposes.
Research companies will invite you to participate in research by any of the following:
- call you
- email upcoming research options
- email you an invitation.
You’ll have the option to decline participation.
You can view Australian research companies that comply with the Code of Professional Behaviour. The details are available on the Research Society website.
How we protect your privacy
We and the research companies we use are bound by confidentiality and privacy laws. Our contracts with research companies contain legally binding provisions to protect your privacy.
We only give contracted research companies information about you when they need it for their research. Your information stays confidential and all of the following apply:
- it is not used for any purpose except for the specific research activity
- it is not given to anyone else
- it is destroyed or returned to us when the research is over.
We’ll never ask you for financial information, including your bank details, for our research.
What to know about your participation
You don’t have to take part in any research activity if you don’t want to. You may agree to help with one research project and say no to another. Your decision won’t affect any payment or service you get from us.
If you don't want to participate
If you don't want to take part in any research, you can take yourself off our research list. To do this, call the Services Australia Feedback and Complaints Line.
Our research isn’t the same as telemarketing. You can register your details on the Do Not Call Register to stop telemarketers calling you. The Do Not Call Register doesn’t cover our research activities.
Read more on the Do Not Call Register website.
Your opinions are anonymous
No information about any research or surveys you’ve taken part in is recorded on your customer record. Your participation, including any responses you’ve given, won’t affect any payment or service you get from us.
What are your rights
If you're contacted for a research project, you have the right to do all of the following:
- ask for the company name, phone number and name of the interviewer
- ask the interviewer to ring you back at a time that’s more convenient for you
- contact us to check the research is genuine and legitimate before you answer any questions
- say no to answering some or all of the questions
- end the interview at any time.
If you have any concerns about the research, call us on the Services Australia Feedback and Complaints Line. This line is open Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.