Travel outside Australia

There are rules about when you can get Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme when you travel outside Australia.

If you or the student travel for a short term

If you or the student travel for a short term, you’ll continue to get paid for up to 2 years. But, both of these must apply:

  • the principal family home is in Australia and meets an isolation condition
  • the student continues to meet the eligibility criteria.

You can get this payment for a student who is studying through distance education methods and travels overseas. But only if all of the following apply:

  • the student is overseas for less than 12 months
  • the student remains enrolled at an approved Australian distance education institution
  • you give assurance that the student will carry out the required school work on a full time basis.

You can get the payment for a student if they’re participating in an international student exchange. They must also meet all of the following:

  • they remain enrolled at an Australian education institution and the institution credits the overseas study to their Australian studies
  • they continue to incur study costs in Australia
  • they continue to meet all other eligibility criteria.

We’ll reassess the student’s eligibility if both of the following apply:

  • the student has left Australia without having their overseas study approved
  • you provide enrolment and study details for the student’s overseas study.

If you or the student leave to live in another country

If you or the student leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop when you depart.

Page last updated: 20 September 2023.
QC 31176