When and how to tell us about your travel

When you get Assistance for Isolated Children, you may need to tell us if you or the student are leaving Australia.

You need to tell us if you or the student are leaving Australia and any of the following situations apply:

  • either of you are going to live in another country
  • you’ll be outside Australia temporarily for more than 2 years
  • the student is studying outside Australia as part of a full time Australian course
  • the student is leaving temporarily and won’t continue to study full time.

You can tell us about your travel plans and provide supporting documents online.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in now to do this. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to create them.

Sign in to myGov

We may ask you for supporting documents about your travel. If we do, you should give us your evidence supporting documents before you leave Australia. The documents you need to provide depend on your circumstances. If you don’t give us the evidence before you leave Australia, your payment will stop when you depart. If we’ve stopped your payment, we’ll reassess it once we get your supporting documents.

You can also use your online account to get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards.

If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by either:

Australia’s immigration department will tell us when you or the student leave. They will also tell us when you or the student return.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 24 November 2023.
QC 61850