Change of circumstances

If your circumstances change, this may affect your eligibility and payment of Assistance for Isolated Children.

We review your circumstances at the end of each year. This is to make sure you get the right payment for the next year.

What to tell us

You need to tell us if your or your child’s circumstances change. This includes if:

  • you or your child change or correct your name
  • you get Additional Boarding Allowance and your or your partner’s income increases or decreases;
  • you get Additional Boarding Allowance and your child’s boarding charges increase or decrease
  • your child stops boarding or living in the second home or studying via distance education
  • your child stops studying, reduces their study load, or changes their education institution
  • your personal circumstances change
  • you change your address or the student changes their term address
  • the care arrangements for your child change
  • you or your child leave Australia permanently.

If you don’t tell us about the changes within 14 days, it may affect your payment. We may pay you incorrectly and you’ll have to pay the money back. Read more about Centrelink debts and overpayments.

If you deliberately don’t tell us about changes, we can charge you with fraud, and a recovery fee may apply.

How to tell us

You need to call us on the Assistance for Isolated Children line to tell us about most changes.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can tell us about some changes online. To do this, sign in to myGov and select My details.

Sign in to myGov

You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

Read more about what you can do using self service.

If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the Assistance for Isolated Children line.

If you disagree with a decision we’ve made, you have the right to ask us to review our decision. Read more about reviews and appeals.

Changing or correcting your name

It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.

Page last updated: 4 June 2024.
QC 40076