Supporting your employees who get a payment from us

Your employee may get a payment from us. What they get may mean different things for you as an employer.

Your employee may get a payment that means different things to you. This can include Paid Parental Leave scheme or income support payments.

Supporting working parents

The Paid Parental Leave scheme provides financial support for eligible parents. This scheme helps parents take time off work to care for a newborn or recently adopted child.

There are 2 payments available to families under the scheme. As an employer you can read about supporting your staff when they get Paid Parental Leave.

Read more about your legal obligation to support working parents on the Human Rights Commission website.

Supporting your employees in redundancy or retrenchment

If your employee is facing redundancy or retrenchment, we can help.

Read about how we can support you and your staff, as well as your redundancy requirements as an employer.

Giving us information about an employee

You may need to give us information about an employee who stops working for you.

The easiest way to provide information to us is online using our business online services. Read more about how you can provide information online for:

If you’re reporting via Single Touch Payroll (STP)

If you report via STP, we get certain cessation information automatically. This has reduced the number of Employment Separation Certificate requests for employers.

But, if your former employee asks for one, you must provide one.

We’re working on changes that will reduce the number of requests even further.

Accessing other government resources

Go to the Supporting Working Parents website to read about your legal obligations for supporting employees who are:

  • pregnant
  • on parental leave
  • returning to work.

Read more on the Workforce Australia website about:

Page last updated: 5 January 2024.
QC 60254