Meeting obligations

When you get a payment from us, you have obligations. Find out what you need to do to keep getting your payment.

We know looking for work can be hard, but we can help with payments and services.

Payments you can get

You may be eligible for one of our 3 main job seeker payments:

  • JobSeeker Payment is for if you’re looking for work and you’re 22 and over. It’s also for when you’re sick or injured and can’t do your usual work or study for a short time.
  • Parenting Payment is if you’re the main carer for a young child or children.
  • Youth Allowance for job seekers is for if you’re 16 to 21 and looking for work. It’s also for when you’re completing study or unable to work for a short time.

For more about the support you can get when you’re unemployed, read about getting a payment.

Mutual obligation requirements

While you’re looking for work and getting a payment from us, there are tasks and activities you have to do. These are your mutual obligation requirements. Your Job Plan outlines what they are. These tasks will help you find a job.

If you’re job seeking

You’ll need to meet your mutual obligation requirements to keep getting your payment. Mutual obligations are compulsory and there are penalties if you don’t meet them. Read more about how to meet your obligations.

If you’re getting Disability Support Pension and are under 35, there are participation requirements.

Before claiming Disability Support Pension, you may need to complete a Program of Support. We may not require this if you’ve already completed the obligations for another type of payment.

If you’re a principal carer or aged 55 or over, you may have different mutual obligation requirements.

Meeting mutual obligation requirements while home schooling

Home schooling may affect your ability to meet your mutual obligation requirements if you’re getting certain income support payments from us.

If you’re a principal carer, and home schooling a dependent child, you may be exempt from these requirements. The exemption may be granted for up to 12 months at a time. Read more about exemptions from mutual obligation requirements for principal carers.

Meeting your obligations

To meet your obligations, you’ll need to regularly report to us and your employment services provider.

How to report

You can report your employment income and that you’ve met your obligations using either:

Reporting to your employment services provider

When you claim a payment, the Department of Education, Skills and Employment will contact you. They’ll tell you how to access the online employment service. This is where you can manage your Job Plan and tasks online.

When you sign in, you’ll see tasks to complete on your dashboard.

If you have any problems, call the Department of Education, Skills and Employment Digital Services Contact Centre.

Complete tasks online

You can save time by completing tasks online using either:

Other things you can do online include any of the following:

Page last updated: 17 June 2022