Financial and health support for young people

There’s information, payments and services available if you’re between 15 and 24 and becoming independent from your parents or carer.

Financial support for young people

If you’re between 15 and 24, there are payments and services to help support you. This includes if you either:

  • want to study
  • are becoming independent from your parents or carer.

Depending on your or your family’s circumstances, you may be able to get Youth Allowance, JobSeeker Payment or ABSTUDY. These payments provide financial support while you're doing any of the following:

  • looking for work
  • studying
  • training
  • doing an Australian Apprenticeship.

If you're leaving school there's information to help you choose what's next.  If you’re moving for study, we have payments to help with the costs. Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to get:

If you have a medical condition or disability you may also be able to get the Disability Support Pension.

We have information to help you decide how to manage your money.

We can also help you stay in control of your finances while you’re studying or training. Read about how to manage money while you study or train.

You can use our Financial Information Service (FIS) and go to a free seminar. They can help you make informed decisions about your money.

Health services for young people

You can get your own Medicare card when you’re 15.

You need to complete the Application to copy or transfer from one Medicare card to another form. Then submit it at your local service centre. Bring suitable ID and the Medicare card number you’re currently on, if you know it.

Once you get your Medicare card, you can access a range of services online or on your smart phone. That way you don’t need to visit or call us.

Create a myGov account and link it to Medicare. This creates your Medicare online account. You can then download and use the Express Plus Medicare mobile app.

You need to register your bank account details to get paid Medicare benefits.

Child Dental Benefits Schedule helps cover the cost of basic dental services. This is for eligible children between 2 and 17 who get certain payments from us.

When you turn 16, you can register your decision to be an organ and tissue donor. You do this on the Australian Organ Donor Register.

Other government and community support services

There are other organisations that provide support services and information. You can use the Payment and Service Finder to find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for.

Australian Apprenticeships has information and resources about Australian Apprenticeships and the support available.

Headspace helps young people with problems affecting their wellbeing. This includes support for mental health, physical health, work and study as well as alcohol and drug services.

Head to Health is Australia’s new digital mental health gateway for online and phone mental health services.

jobactive is a free online jobs website with vacancies listed across all industries and regions within Australia.

myfuture is Australia’s national career information and exploration service. It helps people make career decisions, plan career pathways and manage work transitions.

Study Assist has information about Australian Government assistance to finance your tertiary study and VET Student Loans.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 22 July 2021