Payments you can get

Find out about payments you can get when taking the leap to further training or study at university or TAFE.

Main student payments

If you’re studying, training or doing an Australian Apprenticeship, you may get one of these payments:

  • Youth Allowance for students and apprentices is financial help if you’re a student or apprentice aged 24 or younger. You must be either studying full time or doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship.
  • Austudy is financial help if you’re 25 or older and studying or completing an Australian Apprenticeship.
  • ABSTUDY is a group of payments for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students or apprentices.

You can use our Payment and Service Finder to see which payment you may get and estimate your payment rate.

Extra payments

You may get extra help if you’re a student, trainee or Australian Apprentice and you get certain payments from us.

Education Entry Payment is a yearly payment for when you start study.

Pensioner Education Supplement (PES) is a payment to help with study costs. There are 2 other types of PES:

Student Start-up Loan is a voluntary loan you can get up to twice a year. You must be a higher education student.

You can also get a VET Student Loan to access higher level VET qualifications. This could help you, if you couldn’t otherwise afford to pay for your course upfront. Read more about VET Student Loans on the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations website.

If your course has stopped because of provider closures, you may be eligible for support from the tuition assurance scheme. Read more about Tuition Protection on the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations website.

Help if you’re moving to study

We can help you if you’re moving to study from a rural, remote or regional area.

Tertiary Access Payment is a one off payment of up to $5000. It’s to help if you’re moving from a regional or remote area the year after finishing year 12 or equivalent.

Read more about other payments we have if you’re moving for study.

Help with living costs

You may also get other help with your living costs.

Rent Assistance is an automatic payment if you pay rent and get certain payments from us.

Help while studying if you have disability

Youth Disability Supplement is an extra payment if you have a physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability. You must be getting an income support payment to get Youth Disability Supplement.

Page last updated: 24 January 2024.
QC 60212