Who can get it

To get the Tertiary Access Payment, you need to meet some rules.

You need to be an eligible student moving away from home to study at a tertiary education provider. This payment is for those who study straight after year 12 or equivalent.

You must meet certain rules to get the payment. You must be all of the following:

  • an Australian resident
  • meeting study rules
  • from an outer regional, remote or very remote area
  • moving to study at a tertiary education provider that’s more than 90 minutes away from your family home by public transport
  • have completed year 12 or equivalent
  • studying a tertiary course at certificate IV or above in the next available study period after year 12 with no gap year
  • 22 or younger on the day you start your tertiary course
  • have parents or guardians whose income is under the current combined parental income limit of $250,000.

If you can’t start studying in the year straight after year 12, you may still be eligible. This needs to be for a special reason and you’ll need to give us proof.

If you’re eligible, you can claim the Tertiary Access Payment from 1 January 2021.

Study rules you need to meet

To get the payment from us, you must be studying either a:

  • Vocational Educational and Training (VET) course at a university or non-university provider
  • higher education course at a non-university provider

VET courses are:

  • Certificate IV
  • Diploma (other than a Higher Education Diploma eligible for FEE HELP)
  • Advanced Diploma.

If you’re studying a higher education course at a university, you need to check with them if they’ll pay you.

You meet the rules for qualifying study if you do both of the following:

  • enrol to study a certificate IV or above at an accredited Australian tertiary education provider
  • enrol to study at least 75% of a full-time study load over an academic year.

You may still be eligible if you can’t study full time. This needs to be for a special reason and you’ll need to give us proof.

There are also rules you need to meet for the delivery of your study program. It must be one of the following:

  • face-to-face
  • a combination of face-to-face and online study
  • at a Regional University Centre (RUC), including as an online student.

Page last updated: 1 July 2021