Who can get it

To get the Tertiary Access Payment, you need to meet some rules.

You need to be an eligible student moving away from home to study at a tertiary education provider. This payment is for those who start studying in the year after finishing year 12 or equivalent.

You must meet certain rules to get the payment. You must be all of the following:

  • an Australian resident
  • meeting study rules
  • from an inner regional, outer regional, remote or very remote area
  • moving to study at a tertiary education provider that’s at least 90 minutes away from your family home by public transport
  • have completed year 12 or equivalent
  • studying a tertiary course at certificate IV or above in the year after year 12 with no gap year
  • 22 or younger on the day you start your tertiary course
  • have parents or guardians whose income is under the current combined parental income limit of $250,000.

If you’re eligible, you can claim the Tertiary Access Payment from 1 January to 31 December in your first year of tertiary study.

Study rules you need to meet

To get the payment, you must be studying one of the following:

  • university course
  • Vocational Educational and Training (VET) course
  • other higher education course.

You meet the rules for qualifying study if you do both of the following:

  • study a certificate IV or above at an accredited Australian tertiary education provider
  • study at least 75% of a full-time study load over an academic year.

You may still be eligible if you can’t study full time. This needs to be for a special reason and you’ll need to give us proof.

There are also rules you need to meet for the delivery of your study program. It must be one of the following:

  • face-to-face
  • a combination of face-to-face and online study
  • at a Regional University Centre (RUC), including as an online student.

Page last updated: 20 July 2022