If you’re exempt, you need to meet all the eligibility criteria except for parental income. The main reason why you’re exempt must be 1 of these:
- you’re unable to live at home due to extreme circumstances
- you’re an orphan
- your parents can’t look after you
- you’re a refugee
- you’re in state care
- you’ve been in prison for 6 months or more.
Or, you must be 1 of these:
- you have or had a child
- you’re caring for someone else’s child.
If you’re an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person you may also be exempt for either of these reasons:
- you have adult status in a traditional community
- you’ve returned to live in an Indigenous community after being adopted or fostered by a non-Indigenous family for more than 2 years.