Parenting Payment

The main income support payment while you’re a young child’s main carer. This payment is also for job seekers who are main carers of young children.

To get this you must:

  • be under the income and asset test limits
  • meet principal carer rules
  • care for a child under 8 if you’re single or under 6 if you’re partnered
  • meet residence rules
  • not have claimed before the birth of the child.

Read the full conditions under who can get it.

Page last updated: 30 July 2021