Change of circumstances
You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you're getting Disability Support Pension.
What to tell us
You need to tell us if there are changes to:
- your name
- your personal and contact details
- your bank details
- your relationship status, for example if you become partnered or separated
- your accommodation details - use the accommodation details form to do this
- you're leaving the country, temporarily or to live somewhere else
- you get a lump sum payment
- your or your partner's income or assets change
- your medical condition.
You also need to tell us if your living arrangements change if you’re single. This is if you start sharing your accommodation with anyone outside your family who’s 16 or older. Use the relationship details form to do this.
You need to tell us about a change to your circumstances within 14 days. If you don't, we may pay you too much and you may have to pay back the money.
How to tell us
You can tell us about a change to your circumstances using one of these self service options:
- your Centrelink online account through myGov
- the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- Centrelink phone self service.
Read more about what you can do using self service.
If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the Disability, sickness and cares line
It is never too late to report a change. By telling us about any changes today, we can help make sure you receive the correct payment.
If you get a payment you’re not eligible for, you may have to repay the amount plus a recovery fee. Having to repay a debt may be difficult. But choosing not to tell us your circumstances change could lead to far more serious consequences.
We do regular reviews to make sure you’re eligible for payments and that you’re getting the right amount.
It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.
To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:
- an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
- your consent to verify the document.
You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.
You can find your state or territory Births, deaths and marriage registry on the Australia.gov.au website.
Page last updated: 17 February 2021
This information was printed 9 April 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/disability-support-pension/how-manage-your-payment/change-circumstances. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.