Change of circumstances
We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your Carer Payment.
What to tell us
You must tell us if you do any of the following:
- change or correct your name
- stop providing care for the person or child
- start sharing the care with someone else
- marry, or start or stop living with your partner
- increase your income or assets, or your investments change
- move house or go to live outside Australia
- travel overseas for a holiday
- start doing more work or study.
You must tell us if any of the following applies to the person you provide care for. They:
- need less care from you or they’re now in someone else’s care
- temporarily go into respite care or they’re hospitalised
- move to an aged care facility
- stop being a dependent child
- move to another state or territory without you
- go to live outside Australia, or they travel overseas for a holiday
How and when to tell us
You can tell us about your changes through our self service options.
You need to:
- tell us within 14 days about any changes of circumstances
- make sure your details are up to date in myGov.
It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name so we can update our records.
To change or correct your legal name in our records, bring the following documents to a service centre:
- an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
- your consent to verify the document.
You can find your state or territory Births, deaths and marriage registry on the Australia.gov.au website.
If you don’t tell us
If you don’t tell us about these changes, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back.
If you deliberately do not tell us when your circumstances change, you could be committing fraud.
When you reach Age Pension age
If you’re getting Carer Payment and reach Age Pension age, you can transfer to Age Pension.
Read about the differences before you choose between Carer Payment and Age Pension when you reach Age Pension age.
Page last updated: 24 February 2021
This information was printed 17 June 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/carer-payment/how-manage-your-payment/change-circumstances. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.