Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your Carer Payment.

You may get a letter from us asking you to confirm or update details about your Carer Payment. Read more about how to tell us about your address and caring details.

You must tell us if you do any of the following:

  • stop providing care for the person or child
  • start sharing the care with someone else
  • marry, or start or stop living with your partner
  • increase your income or assets, or your investments change
  • move house or go to live outside Australia
  • travel overseas for a holiday
  • start doing more work or study.

You must tell us if any of the following applies to the person you provide care for:

  • they need less care from you or they’re now in someone else’s care
  • they temporarily go into respite care or they’re hospitalised
  • they move to an aged care facility
  • they stop being a dependent child
  • they move to another state or territory without you
  • the go to live outside Australia, or they travel overseas for a holiday
  • they die.

How and when to tell us

You can tell us about your changes through our self service options.

You need to:

  • tell us within 14 days about any changes of circumstances
  • make sure your details are up to date in myGov.

If you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about these changes, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back.

If you deliberately do not tell us when your circumstances change, you could be committing fraud.

Read more about how to avoid committing fraud.

When you reach Age Pension age

If you’re getting Carer Payment and reach Age Pension age, you can transfer to Age Pension.

Read more about choosing between Carer Payment and Age Pension when you reach Age Pension age.

Page last updated: 9 January 2020