Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your Carer Payment.

What to tell us

You must tell us if you do any of the following:

  • change or correct your name
  • stop providing care for the person or child
  • start sharing the care with someone else
  • marry, or start or stop living with your partner
  • increase your income or assets, or your investments change
  • move house or go to live outside Australia
  • you sell your principal home
  • travel overseas for a holiday
  • start doing more work or study.

You must tell us if any of the following applies to the person you provide care for. They:

  • need less care from you or they’re now in someone else’s care
  • temporarily go into respite care or they’re hospitalised
  • move to an aged care facility
  • stop being a dependent child
  • move to another state or territory without you
  • go to live outside Australia, or they travel overseas for a holiday
  • die.

How and when to tell us

You need to tell us if your circumstances change within 14 days. If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can tell us online. To do this, sign in to myGov and select My details.

Sign in to myGov

If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to create them.

If you change or correct your name

It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.

If you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about these changes, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back.

If you deliberately do not tell us when your circumstances change, you could be committing fraud.

When you reach Age Pension age

If you’re getting Carer Payment and reach Age Pension age, you can transfer to Age Pension.

Read about the differences before you choose between Carer Payment and Age Pension when you reach Age Pension age.

Page last updated: 28 September 2023.
QC 29871