How to keep your payment

How to keep us up to date when you’re getting Carer Payment.

When you’re getting Carer Payment from us, you need to tell us within 14 days about any personal, income or care changes.

Changes to your personal circumstances

It’s important to keep us up to date with your personal circumstances. This includes things like where you live, your relationship status, what you get paid and any changes to your assets.

Read more about what you need to tell us and if there are changes to your circumstances.

Changes to your care giving

We need to know if there are changes to your caring arrangements. This could be any of the following:

Please tell us about any changes within 14 days. You can tell us by using your Centrelink online account through myGov.

Changes to your work, study or training

You can take time away from caring to work, study or train up to 25 hours each week, this includes travel time.


It’s important you tell us if you start or stop working and if the amount you get paid changes. The amount of Carer Payment may change depending on how much you get paid. So we pay you the right amount you’ll need to report your income each fortnight.

If you’re working, you may get Working Credit. It increases how much you can earn before we start reducing your payments.

You’ll also need to tell us if you start or stop doing voluntary work. If you change how many hours you do voluntary work for, you need to let us know.

Read more about reporting income from employment.

Study and training

It’s important to tell us if you start or stop studying or training.

If you change how much you study or train, you’ll also need to let us know.

Page last updated: 10 May 2024.
QC 65086