How to claim
Complete the following steps to claim Age Pension. Before you start, check if you can get it.
Steps to claim Age Pension
1. Prepare to claim
There are several factors to consider when you’re preparing to claim Age Pension. To make this easier for you, we’ve put together information about how to prepare to claim.
The easiest way to claim is online.
You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you have a correspondence nominee, they can complete any of these:
- an online claim for you
- separate online claims for you and your partner
- a combined partner claim for you and your partner using a paper claim form.
If you want to claim with your partner
If you and your partner are both claiming Age Pension, you may be able to submit a combined partner claim online.
The combined partner claim option only appears at the Review and Confirm stage of the claim. This option won’t appear if any of these apply:
- you’re in a crisis situation
- you and your partner are registered for the Pension Bonus Scheme
- you or your partner want to claim Age Pension for the blind.
To use the combined partner claim option all of these must apply before starting your claim. You and your partner:
- have your own myGov accounts linked to your own Centrelink online accounts
- have access to electronic messaging
- show as a couple in the Relationship Status section of your online accounts
- are Age Pension age or turning Age Pension age in the next 13 weeks.
When you’ve completed your part of the claim, your partner will get a task to review in their online account. They must action this within 3 days of getting it. Then you or your partner can submit the combined partner claim.
If you can’t claim online
If you can’t claim online, you can do any of the following:
- print and complete the Claim for Age Pension and Pension Bonus form and the Income and Assets form
- call us on the Older Australians line
- go to a service centre.
If you live outside Australia read how you can claim through an international social security agreement.
3. Get your documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
4. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and select Centrelink.
- Select MENU from your homepage
- Select Payments and Claims, followed by Claims, and Make a claim.
- In the Older Australians category, select Get started.
- Answer all the questions. There’s help on each page including how to answer them. This includes how to submit supporting documents and any other forms you need to complete.
- Based on your answers, we may ask if you also want to claim Age Pension for your partner. If you choose a combined partner claim, your partner will get an SMS or email from us to let them know. We’ll advise them to:
- sign in to myGov and select Centrelink
- select the task on their homepage
- answer questions.
They’ll have 3 days to do this before the task disappears. If this happens, they’ll need to start again and submit their own claim.
- Submit your claim.
Make sure you submit the claim within 13 weeks from when you started it. If you don’t, it’ll expire and you’ll need to start again.
When you’re ready:
5. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- we got your claim
- the ID number of your claim
- the date we estimate we’ll complete your claim
- a link to track its progress.
We can help if you’re in financial hardship or need special assistance while we process your claim.
We’ll let you know the result of your claim. We’ll send a letter to either your:
If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details, we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake, you can ask us to review our decision.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link it to Centrelink.
When claiming Age Pension, you’ll need to give us some supporting documents so we can assess your claim.
When you make your claim for Age Pension, we may ask you to give us more information.
If you’re Age Pension age and get an eligible payment, you can apply to transfer to Age Pension.
Your options and obligations for Age Pension.
Page last updated: 23 September 2021
This information was printed 7 October 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/how-claim. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.