How to claim
Complete the following steps to claim Age Pension. Before you start, check if you can get it.
Steps to claim Age Pension
1. Prepare to claim
There are several factors to consider when you’re preparing to claim Age Pension. To make this easier for you, we’ve put together information about how to prepare to claim.
The easiest way to claim is online. If you have a correspondence nominee, they can complete all or part of the online claim for you.
If your partner also wants to claim, you can submit a combined claim online. The combined claim option will appear in your online account if you and your partner are eligible to use it. It won’t appear if any of these apply:
- you’re in a crisis situation
- you and your partner are registered for the Pension Bonus Scheme
- you and your partner want to claim Age Pension for the blind.
To use the combined claim option, you and your partner need both of these:
- your own myGov accounts linked to your own Centrelink online accounts
- to be subscribed to electronic messaging.
If you or your partner have a nominee, they can’t do the combined claim online for you.
You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online you can do any of the following:
- print and complete the Claim for Age Pension and Pension Bonus form and the Income and Assets form
- call us on the Older Australians line
- go to a service centre.
If you live outside Australia read how you can claim through an international social security agreement.
3. Get your documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
4. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payments and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
- Under Seniors, select Get started.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes submitting your supporting documents and any other forms you need to complete.
- Based on your answers, we may ask if you also want to claim Age Pension for your partner. If you choose a combined claim, your partner will get an SMS or email from us to let them know. We’ll advise them to:
- sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink
- select the task on their homepage
- answer questions.
They’ll have 3 days to do this before the task disappears. If this happens, they’ll need to start again and submit their own claim.
- Submit the claim.
When you're ready:
5. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- your claim was submitted
- the ID number of your claim
- the date we estimate your claim will be complete
- a link to track its progress.
We can help if you’re in financial hardship or need special assistance while we process your claim.
We’ll let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to either your:
If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link to Centrelink.
When claiming Age Pension, you’ll need to give us some supporting documents so we can assess your claim.
When you make your claim for Age Pension, we may ask you to give us more information.
If you’re Age Pension age and get an eligible payment, you can apply to transfer to Age Pension.
Your options and obligations for Age Pension.
Page last updated: 6 April 2021
This information was printed 7 May 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/how-claim. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.