Getting support

Find out about our payments that may help you when you’re retraining or studying.

What payments you can get

If you’re studying, training or doing an apprenticeship, you may get a student payment.

Youth Allowance for students and apprentices is financial help if you’re 24 or younger and either:

  • studying full time
  • doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship.

Read more about how we can support you as you start an apprenticeship.

Austudy is income support if you’re 25 or older and a full time student or Australian Apprentice.

ABSTUDY is financial help if you’re an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander student or apprentice.

If you’re already getting an income support payment from us, there may be extra support you may get.

Pensioner Education Supplement is a regular extra payment to help with study costs if you get certain income support from us.

Education Entry Payment is a once a year payment made when you start study if you get certain income support from us.

Help with child care costs

You may be eligible for Child Care Subsidy to help with the cost of child care.

You may also be eligible for Additional Child Care Subsidy. You’ll need to be getting Child Care Subsidy and meet the Transition to Work activity requirements.

Read about help you can get it while your child is growing up.

Help with your mental health

Retraining or changing career, like any time we step out of our comfort zone, can be stressful. We can help if you feel like you need extra support.

Mental health websites

The Head to Health website has helpful resources from a range of mental health websites. Other useful websites include:

  • Beyond Blue for help with depression and anxiety
  • headspace for young people who are going through a tough time
  • MensLine for phone and online counselling for men
  • social workers for help with counselling, support and information during difficult times.

What other help is available

If you don’t get a payment from us, there’s other help available.

Our Financial Information Service offers tools, resources and information that can help you to make more informed financial decisions.

You can also talk to your training provider about what you may be eligible for.

Help with Vocational Education and Training (VET) Student Loans

VET Student Loans are available for some VET courses. You may also get help from state or territory government to pay for a VET course.

Read more about getting financial support  on the Your Career website.

Help with managing your money

We have advice on how to manage your money, including tips and information to help you.

You’ll find tips to help students manage money on the studying section of the Moneysmart website.

Centrepay is a free service you can use to pay bills as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments. Read about how Centrepay works.

Other financial assistance

Check if you qualify for a no interest loan from Good Shepherd. These loans provide safe, fair and affordable credit for essential goods and services. You can pay this loan back through Centrepay.

You can also check out the Student Start-up Loan to see if you’re eligible for this loan.

Page last updated: 6 December 2023.
QC 60088