on this page
You must meet all of these rules to get this payment. You:
- are a dependent student or an independent student for a special reason
- study in a specific place
- meet the study rules
- get at least $1 of Youth Allowance as a student or ABSTUDY Living Allowance.
If you’re an ABSTUDY student but you don’t get any ABSTUDY Living Allowance, you may still be eligible. This is if you get any of these payments from us:
Your place of study
You meet the rule to study in a specific place if you do 1 of the following:
- move to or from a regional or remote area in Australia to study
- do approved study overseas for your Australian course
- do an approved regional placement.
Don’t forget to tell us if you move, so we can update your details.
You can't get it
You can’t get this payment if any of the following apply:
- you don’t get Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY
- you get ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance but you don’t get a fortnightly ABSTUDY payment
- your family home and your place of study are both in a major city when you start studying
- you get a Relocation Scholarship from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- you get an Indigenous Student Success Program scholarship from the National Indigenous Australians Agency (NIAA) for relocation or accommodation costs.
You may also see the scholarship from the NIAA described as an Indigenous Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship.
You also can’t get this payment if you live on campus and get ABSTUDY Residential Costs Option. This applies unless you got the offer to live on campus after we paid your scholarship.
To get a Relocation Scholarship as an independent student you must have a special reason.
Where your family home is determines if you can get a Relocation Scholarship and your payment rate in your second and third years of study.