How long you have to wait depends on if:
- you had a payout from your employer
- your payment was cancelled for not meeting your requirements.
Income maintenance period
You may have to wait if you got a payout from your employer when your job ended. This includes any payments of:
- sick leave
- annual leave
- termination of employment
Read more about the income maintenance period.
Cancellation non-payment period
You may need to wait if your payment was cancelled for not meeting your requirements. We call this a cancellation non-payment period.
This applies if you didn’t meet your requirements when you needed to take part in either:
- the Department of Education, Skills and Employment jobactive program
- Disability Employment Services
Read more about what you need to do if your payment is cancelled for not meeting requirements.
Appeal a waiting period decision
You have the right to appeal if you think we got your waiting period wrong.
Read about reviews and appeals.