Approved travellers may be any of the following:
- a student approved for a higher rate of ABSTUDY when living away from home
- a student’s parent or other family member
- a member of the student’s community
- a supervisor travelling with a student
- a boarding school or hostel staff member.
Learn more about the type of travel requests you can make for these approved travellers.
We recommend all students under 18 travel with a supervisor. A supervisor is a responsible adult aged over 18 who can be:
- a parent or guardian
- a person from the student’s community
- a staff member from the school or hostel.
Students must travel with a supervisor if any of the following applies:
- they’re younger than 12
- they’re younger than 18 and are travelling over the weekend
- the travel provider says they need to
- their Safe Travel Plan doesn’t include a plan B to deal with disrupted travel
- they’ve missed 2 or more pre-booked trips during the year without a valid reason
- they haven’t met their travel responsibilities on previous trips.
We also encourage ABSTUDY students who are 12 to 17 to travel with a supervisor if:
- they’re travelling to a school for the first time
- the trip involves more than one mode of travel, for example a charter flight and a commercial flight
- there are long wait times between travel connections
- they will need to stay overnight on the way
- they need support for emotional or psychological challenges.
Students may also only need a supervisor to meet them at connection points and help continue on to the next leg of travel.