on this page
It must be essential care that can’t wait till you get home.
You’ll still need to pay part of the cost for some services.
- part of the cost for medical treatment in the public health system - hospitals, health centres and pharmacies
- part of the cost of medical treatment by private GPs, specialists and dentists and pharmacies contracted to the HIIS
- emergency ambulance travel if you have a doctor’s referral
- 30% of the cost of prescription medicines on the positive list.
What it doesn’t cover
It doesn’t cover:
- care from a GP, specialist or dentist who doesn’t have a contract with the HIIS
- medicines on the negative list
- 90% of the cost of medicines on the interim list
- 90% of the cost of any other ambulance travel.
Your travel insurance may cover some of these and other extra costs.
What to do
Be ready to show your passport and Medicare card.
Read how to prove you’re eligible.
Find out more
Check the HIIS website.