To be eligible it must be:
- essential care that can’t wait till you get home
- through the national health service, the Servizio Sanitario Nazionale
- within 6 months from the day you arrive.
The agreement covers:
- care as a hospital patient or out-patient at public and authorised hospitals
- GP and specialist care from public clinics, health centres and authorised hospitals and clinics
- urgent dental care at public hospitals.
What it doesn’t cover
You may need to pay for medicines and tests.
Your travel insurance may cover these and other extra costs.
What to do
If you need care, go to the nearest health centre. You can find one by:
- checking a phone book
- asking at a police station, tourist office or hotel.
Be ready to show your passport and Medicare card.