on this page
To be eligible it must be essential care that can’t wait till you get home.
You’ll still need to pay a client fee for all treatment in public health care.
The agreement covers:
- medical care from health centres
- nursing care from health centres
- out-patient care from hospitals, you can go straight there or with a note from a doctor
- dental care from some centres
- prescription medicines
- some travel costs to get medical care, a Kela office can tell you which ones.
What it doesn’t cover
The agreement doesn’t cover:
- daily accommodation fees to stay in hospital
- fees for specialist care or out-patient care.
Your travel insurance may cover these and other extra costs.
What to do
Be ready to show your passport and Medicare card.
Read how to prove you’re eligible.
At the doctor or dentist
Pay for the treatment at the time.
Get a refund from a local health insurance office. To find a customer service point go to the Kela website.