Visiting the Netherlands

The Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) we have with the Netherlands may cover some of your medical costs in the Netherlands public health system.

To be eligible it must be:

  • essential care that can’t wait till you get home
  • within 12 months after you arrive - in some cases you may be able to extend this.

What’s covered

The agreement covers hospital care which includes:

  • specialist care
  • nursing
  • prescription medicine, a full or part refund
  • transport, a part refund for ambulance or taxi travel to get urgent care
  • paramedics
  • childbirth.

It also covers care from doctors which includes:

  • GPs
  • specialists
  • psychiatrists, if you’re 18 or older.

What it doesn’t cover

The agreement doesn’t cover:

  • staying in a comfort or single room in hospital unless it’s essential
  • non-specialist dental care if you’re 18 or older
  • psychiatric care if you’re under 18
  • repatriation costs - costs associated with sending you back to your home country.

Your travel insurance may cover these and other extra costs.

What to do

Get a certificate of eligibility

To get a certificate of eligibility, fill in the Application form for an A111 Certificate of Eligibility. You’ll also need copies of your current passport and Medicare card. Make sure you cover your photo and ID number in the copies you send us. Post your documents to:

Zilveren Kruis
Groep Buitenlands Recht
Postbus 650
The Netherlands

You can do this when you arrive in the Netherlands or before you leave home.

To get free emergency medical care

If you go to a doctor, show your A111 certificate. You’ll receive emergency care that’s covered under the Dutch basic health insurance. Zilveren Kruis is the health insurance company that usually pays the costs of the medical treatment directly to the health care provider under the RHCA.

To get a refund for medical care

If you have paid the medical bill yourself and need a refund, submit your claim to Zilveren Kruis.

To submit a claim online use the claim form on the Zilveren Kruis website.

To send your bill by post, download the claim form on the Zilveren Kruis website. Post the claim form, your original health care bill and A111 certificate to:

Zilveren Kruis
Groep Buitenlands Recht
Postbus 650
The Netherlands

If you have questions call +31 (0)33 445 6870 or email

Page last updated: 13 October 2023.
QC 38246