Proving you’re eligible

You’ll need to prove you’re from Australia and eligible for Medicare when you’re in another country.

When you're in another country

Ask staff at the hospital or doctor to treat you under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

You’ll need to show both:

  • your Australian passport or another valid passport, which shows you are a permanent Australian resident
  • your current Medicare card.

If your Medicare card is out of date, or will expire while you’re away, call the Medicare program before you go overseas. You can get a new card before you travel.

When in the Netherlands

If you are travelling to the Netherlands you also need to fill in the Application for an A111 Certificate of eligibility form. Post it to:

Zilveren Kruis
Groep Buitenlands Recht
Postbus 650
7300 AR Apeldoorn Netherlands

You can do this before you leave home or when you get to the Netherlands.

Page last updated: 17 November 2022.
QC 38966

Try our new dark mode

We're testing a darker colour scheme. Try it and let us know what you think.