Participating in the community

We can connect you with support to help you participate in your community.

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provides funding to people with disability to help with:

  • independence
  • community involvement
  • education
  • employment
  • health and wellbeing.

Read more about the NDIS on their website.

Find work

If you have an illness, injury or disability, there’s help available if you’re looking for a job.

Disability Employment Services can help you find and keep a job. We can refer you to a provider if you’re eligible. You can also talk to a provider about registering with them. You can search for a provider on the Workforce Australia website. The provider may ask you to attend an Employment Services Assessment with us.

Disability Employment Services also have a free program called Work Assist. It can help if you’re at risk of losing your job due to illness, injury or disability.

JobAccess offers help for people with disability who are looking for work. It also supports people who have a job to get more training and better workplace skills. Read more on the JobAccess website.

Community participation

Social and community engagement can have a positive impact on your wellbeing. You could find this at a community group, class or club.

Ask your local council, public library, public swimming pool or local sports club what’s on offer near you. Or enter your location in the My Community Directory website to see what’s available in your area.

Find an advocate

Access to effective disability advocacy can improve community participation. It can promote, protect and ensure full and equal enjoyment of all human rights. Independent advocacy can help people with disability who face complex challenges. An advocate can support you while you’re seeking help, claiming a payment from us, and can also attend appointments with you. Read about National Disability Representative Organisations on the Department of Social Services website.

Find advocacy services in your area and use the Ask Izzy - Disability Advocacy Finder from the Department of Social Services website.

Page last updated: 30 August 2023.
QC 60096