Finding other help

How to access support services for everyday life when you live with disability.

National services

National Disability Insurance Scheme

For many, the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is the main source of support when living with disability. It provides funding directly to you if you have disability.

Developing an NDIS plan can help you with your day-to-day care. It may help you access support services for daily and occasional physical tasks.

Find out more on the NDIS website.


Medicare is Australia’s universal health care system. It helps with the costs of seeing a doctor, buying medicines and getting mental health care. Read about what Medicare covers and how to enrol.

Use the find a health service on the health direct website to find a doctor in your area. You can also check if local doctors can visit you at home or offer telehealth appointments.

Disability Gateway

The Disability Gateway connects you with a range of services in your area. They provide support and information for all people with disability, their families and carers. They also provide information on health, housing, employment, transport and everyday living. Read more about the Disability Gateway on their website.

National Relay Service

If you're deaf or find it hard hearing or speaking with people who use a phone, the National Relay Service (NRS) can help you. Find out how to register to use the NRS on the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts website.

Other support services

There are other physical support services that may be able to help. The following links will take you away from our website.

  • Meals on Wheels delivers meals to your home and offers wellness checks and companionship.
  • myagedcare helps older people with cleaning, preparing meals, personal care and home modifications.
  • Veterans’ Home Care helps veterans with cleaning, washing and ironing, personal care and home modifications.

We can help you if you’re thinking about aged care services.

You can also get help from our social workers. This service is confidential and can help with:

  • short-term counselling
  • support information
  • referrals to other services.

State and territory services

Each state offers different services and support. Your state or territory government can refer you to services closer to where you live. These links will take you away from our website.

State or territoryServices
ACTVisit the ACT Department of Health website for information about disability services. This includes the NDIS, and the Community Nursing and Community Allied Health Services.

Find disability services on the NSW Health Department website.

The NSW Transport website has information on transport services and concessions for people with disabilities.

NTYou may be eligible for disability help if you aren’t eligible for the NDIS. Read about the types of support and how to apply on the NT Government website.
QldVisit the Queensland Government website for information and support services for people with disability. This includes access to equipment and information about housing.
SAVisit the SA Government website for information and support services for people with disability. This includes help with public transport and housing options.
TasVisit Tasmania’s Department of Premier and Cabinet website for information about specialist services for people with disability
VicGet information about disability services on the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services website. This includes accommodation and transport services.

Find disability services on the WA Government disability website.

You can also get information about concessions for people with disabilities on their concessions website.

Companion Card

You may be eligible to apply for a Companion Card if you have lifelong disability. This gives you a free ticket for a companion when you attend venues and activities. The card is managed by each state or territory government in Australia. Go to the Disability Gateway and search for Companion Card to find information from the relevant state or territory you live in.

Page last updated: 21 March 2024.
QC 60095