Doing business online for health professionals
Use our online business solutions to save you time and paperwork, and help you get payments faster.
Using our online services you can:
- lodge Medicare and Department of Veterans' Affairs claims with us and with private health insurers
- lodge bulk bill, private patient and in-patient medical claims
- make updates with the Australian Immunisation Register
- do patient verification
- work out the out-of-pocket costs for hospital procedures
- check the progress of a claim
We can process claims lodged online a lot faster than manual claims.
Register to do business online
There are 3 steps to register for our business online services:
- Complete the online claiming provider agreement form.
- Apply for a Medicare Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) Site Certificate. PKI Site Certificates help you do your electronic business with us securely.
- Check your software is compatible. Review our list of software vendors who use Aged Care Online Claiming or Medicare online claiming. Contact your vendor to make sure they can support your online needs such as bulk billing or private patient claims.
If you need help with your online claiming registration, call the eBusiness Service Centre.
You need consent to register on behalf of health professionals in your practice and to access their Medicare records. The health professionals must sign the agreement.
Maintain your online claiming details
It’s important to keep your details, including your address and phone numbers, up-to-date.
You can easily do this:
To connect your practice online with us, make sure:
- your software vendor has confirmed your operating system and software can do what you need
- you have a PKI Site Certificate CD ready for installation or it’s already installed
- you have the personal identification code (PIC) for your PKI Site Certificate
- all health professionals in the practice have completed and signed the agreement form
- you have returned the agreement form to us.
Change your multiple provider location ID registration details
You can change nominated location IDs for multiple health professionals who claim through Medicare online.
Draft a letter to send to all health professionals and make sure you:
- include changes you’re making to the health professional’s registration
- advise health professionals we won’t change any banking details unless they give us written authority
- allow time for health professionals to contact you or us if they have questions about the change
- include the CEO’s signature.
Send a letter to all health professionals whose location ID registration details will change.
Email the change of location ID registration request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- a list of all health professionals including their provider number and business addresses
- the expected date of effect for us to agree to.
Respond to the location ID registration email request. We’ll confirm the proposed date of effect is acceptable, or explain why it isn’t.
Contact the eBusiness Service Centre for more information about:
- online registration
- PKI Site Certificates
- changing multiple provider location ID details,
Page last updated: 12 February 2020