Payments for students and trainees

Help for students, trainees and Australian Apprentices.

The payments you can get while you study or train depend on your situation. You can use the Payment and Service Finder to see your payment options and estimate how much you may get.

Our intro to student payments video will also give you an overview of the support we offer.

Main student payments

If you’re studying, training or doing an Australian Apprenticeship, you may get 1 of 4 main payments.

Youth Allowance for students and apprentices is financial help for students and apprentices aged 24 or younger and either:

  • studying full time
  • doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship.

Austudy is the main income support payment if you’re 25 or older and a full time student or Australian Apprentice.

ABSTUDY is financial help for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and Australian Apprentices.

Assistance for Isolated Children is a group of payments for parents and carers of children who can’t go to a local state school. This could be because of geographical isolation, disability or special needs.

Extra financial support

You may get extra help if you’re a student, trainee or Australian Apprentice and get certain payments from us.

Education Entry Payment is a yearly payment you get when you start study.

Pensioner Education Supplement is a payment to help with study costs.

Student Start-up Loan is a voluntary loan you can get up to twice a year if you’re an eligible higher education student.

Help if you’re moving to study

Fares Allowance helps with travel costs between your permanent home and place of tertiary study. To be eligible you must get certain payments from us.

Relocation Scholarship is a once a year payment if you get Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY. You must also move to or from a regional or remote area for higher education study.

Tertiary Access Payment helps with the cost of moving from a regional or remote area for tertiary study.

Help with living costs

You might also get payments or assistance to help with your living costs.

Rent Assistance is an automatic payment if you pay rent and get certain payments from us.

Low Income Health Care Card is a card to get cheaper health care and medicines if you’re on a low income.

Help while studying if you have a disability

Youth Disability Supplement is a payment if you have a physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability and get income support payments.

More help and information

You can ask us general questions on social media.

You can also get information and help from local organisations. Use Payment and Service Finder to find assistance in your local area.

Information about Australian Apprenticeships and tertiary study

Australian Apprenticeships provides information and resources about Australian apprenticeships and the support available.

My Skills is the national directory of Vocational Education and Training (VET) organisations and courses. It lets you search for and compare courses and providers.

StudyAssist provides information for students about Australian Government help for tertiary study, including information about subsidised fees and government loans. The website also has information about VET Student Loans.

Help with mental health issues

If you’re experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.

You can talk to a social worker about your situation. You might get a payment from us if you’re experiencing a crisis or need special help.

headspace is the national youth mental health foundation and helps young people who are going through a tough time.

Help with managing your money

It helps to do some financial planning if you’re a student in:

  • high school
  • TAFE
  • university
  • a private college.

Take the stress away for your costs of travel, study and tools and have a budget in place. Read about how to manage money while you study or train.

Moneysmart also has tips to help students manage their money on the studying section of their website.

Page last updated: 3 December 2021