Parents of children starting school

If you have a child starting school, this information is for you.

Child Care Subsidy

Child Care Subsidy provides assistance with the cost of child care fees. When you claim, we may ask you about your child’s schooling details. We use this information to work out your rate of child care fee assistance.

We won’t pay child care fee assistance for any hours that your child is at school. But if your child is school aged, we’ll pay it for child care outside of school hours. You may also be able to get Child Care Subsidy if you use vacation care during school holidays.

Find out more about Child Care Subsidy.

Early education

You may be exempt from the Child Care Subsidy activity test if your child attends an early education program. If you’re exempt you’ll have access to 36 hours of subsidised care per fortnight.

Find out more about the early education exemption for Child Care Subsidy.

Family Tax Benefit

Family Tax Benefit (FTB) is a 2 part payment that helps with the cost of raising children.

You may be eligible for FTB Part A if you care for a dependent child who’s either:

You may be eligible for FTB Part B if either:

  • you’re a member of a couple with 1 main income and care for a dependent child aged under 13
  • you’re a single parent or non-parent carer, or a grandparent carer and care for a dependent child aged under 18.

To be eligible for FTB Part B, your child must meet study requirements if they’re aged 16 to 18.

Find out more about Family Tax Benefit.

Help managing your family’s money

The Schoolkids Bonus is no longer available, but we have tools to help get on top of your family’s finances. The tools to help you plan and stick to a budget. There is also help for you to save for your and your family’s future.

Find out more about how to manage your family’s money.

Healthy start for school

Your child may need to have a health check if both of these apply:

If your child doesn’t have a health check, your FTB Part A payment rate may reduce.

If they need a health check, we'll send you a letter through your myGov inbox or by mail.

We’ll let you know what you need to do before it affects your payments.

Find out more about Healthy Start for School.


Your child’s school may ask you to provide a record of their immunisations.

You can get your child’s immunisation history statement using either your:

For privacy reasons, if your child is 14 or older, they need to get their immunisation history statement themselves.

Find out more about how to get an immunisation history statement.

Page last updated: 18 November 2020