What you need to do when you start a new job

There are things you need to do to make sure you get paid when you start a new job. There are also things you need to do to make sure we don’t overpay you.

Things to give your employer

When you start work, your employer should ask you to do all of the following:

JobMaker Hiring Credit Scheme

If your employer is participating in the scheme, they’ll ask you to complete an employee notice. This notice declares that you meet the employee eligibility requirements. You don’t need to do anything else.

Your employer may also ask for proof that you’ve been getting 1 of the following payments:

You’re not legally required to provide this information.

If you choose to give your employer proof, you can use any of the following:

You can download or request a copy of these through:

You can also use your online payment history. You can view your payment history and either take a screen shot, or show it to your employer. You can access your online payment history through either:

You can also show your employer the grant letter you got from us if both of these apply:

  • you've been granted 1 of the eligible income support payment
  • you're currently serving a waiting period.

You can find out more about the JobMaker scheme including employee eligibility on the ATO website.

Things to tell us

If you get a payment from us, you need to tell us if your circumstances change. You need to do this within 14 days. If you don’t, we may pay you too much. This means you’ll have a debt you need to pay back. You can tell us about a change to your circumstances using one of these self service options:

You also need to report your income while getting a payment from us. You can report your income online or by calling your regular payment line. If you have a partner, you also need to report their income.

Child care

If you’re a parent, you might need child care. If you do, Child Care Subsidy can help you with the cost. You can search for different types of child care using the Department of Education and Training search for child care.

Page last updated: 18 December 2020